General - New proposals against trolling | Pakistan Defense Forum
Theme customizer
Revert customizations made in this style

General New proposals against trolling (1 Viewer)

Currently reading:
General New proposals against trolling (1 Viewer)

G General Forum

ThunderCat

Pakistan Military Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

Although we try to respect everyone's opinion, there are people who senselessly engage in repetitive behavior that consumes the time and effort of the more sincere members. Therefore I want to propose rules and regulations against this disruptive, repetitive behavior.

Trolling should constitute some of the following behavior, although additional proposals can be welcomed:

1) Not responding to counter arguments and repeating one's self.

2) Making nonsensical statements without backing them up such as "the Earth is flat."

3) Writing senseless propaganda; especially against Pakistan. While criticism and even insults with reason could be allowed, propaganda of any kind should not be tolerated.

4) Posting fake news that has already been refuted.

I want people to propose more measures against tiresome trolling but also first want comments on these proposals. @Old School please comment.

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

I agree. Usually, when there are many members in a discussion forum, the members themselves can address the troll issues by reporting. A troll can not survive long in a forum with many participating members. There will be too many reports to survive. Trolls also prevent knowledgeable people from joining the forum and discussions. It's a catch-22. Therefore, allowing professional trolls is unproductive. The forum has few members, so we allow professional trolls- this is not a strong logic as it is damaging the credibility and reputation of the forum.
Unfortunately, only a few members actively participate in discussions in this forum. The rest are simple one-way copy-paste materials. While there should be concrete admin-level policies to address troll and propaganda issues, I sincerely urge you and everyone to report acts of trolling and propaganda by pressing the report button so that moderators can take action accordingly.

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

We also have to closely scrutinize each thread that starts with unverified/unofficial social media handles, e.g., Facebook, YouTube, X, Reddit, etc. Disinformation is a big issue today, and people are abusing freedom of speech to spread fake news and propaganda to benefit their ulterior motives.
Secondly, this is a discussion forum to encourage original discussions on military and strategic topics, which is also a direct competition of social media. Redirecting traffic from Social media backward will not benefit this forum.
Finally, we don't want harmful opinions expressed in this forum to be viewed as the view of Pakistani people or establishment since this forum's name is "Pakistan Defense Forum".

Malang

ELITE MEMBER
Jan 5, 2022

Yes Sir i agree with your post. We need to control the trolling and debunk fake news. Due to the emergence of social media many people make wild claims. When you ask the evidence they will quickly go to their social media account. Write a tweet and then present it as proof. I am sorry for the poor grammar in this post I cannot use Google translate right now as I type in Urdu and translate it in English.

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

Yes Sir i agree with your post. We need to control the trolling and debunk fake news. Due to the emergence of social media many people make wild claims. When you ask the evidence they will quickly go to their social media account. Write a tweet and then present it as proof. I am sorry for the poor grammar in this post I cannot use Google translate right now as I type in Urdu and translate it in English.
If it was only up to me, I would only allow verified official source or peer reviewed journals as references. There are plenty of military journals. Social media posts are accepted nowhere except for a determined troll and propagandist. I dislike social media because it is full of narcissistic people who only know how to talk nonsense. Blocking all social media API is the best option.

Malang

ELITE MEMBER
Jan 5, 2022

If it was only up to me, I would only allow verified official source or peer reviewed journals as references. There are plenty of military journals. Social media posts are accepted nowhere except for a determined troll and propagandist. I dislike social media because it is full of narcissistic people who only know how to talk nonsense. Blocking all social media API is the best option.
You are the boss. It would be best if you announced it as a stated policy of this forum. People won't stop trolling but it will help reduce fake news and propaganda.

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

You are the boss. It would be best if you announced it as a stated policy of this forum. People won't stop trolling but it will help reduce fake news and propaganda.
We need a minimum of ten real people engaged in the forum at any given time of the day. Under this condition a troll will not survive by the laws of natural selection. The problem arises when there is no one to challenge any thread or post. So, a troll gets goalposts without the goalkeeper and the defenders. It is a free score. No policy can succeed without sufficient participants.

Malang

ELITE MEMBER
Jan 5, 2022

We need a minimum of ten real people engaged in the forum at any given time of the day. Under this condition a troll will not survive by the laws of natural selection. The problem arises when there is no one to challenge any thread or post. So, a troll gets goalposts without the goalkeeper and the defenders. It is a free score. No policy can succeed without sufficient participants.
Yes Sir. Without active participation of community members no matter how good the policies are, they don't work. I remember the cricket matches of Pakistan vs India in 2005 when Shahid Afridi scored 102 against India

After the match was concluded Indian media criticised the poor captaincy of Rahul Dravid. But Bishen Singh Bedi came on the TV and defended him by saying that he could only do the field placement on the ground. But today was Afridi's day and he was smashing the ball out of the park. How could he do the field placement outside the stadium?

We can have the best rules but it won't work if there is not a community to follow them. I had thrown a few suggestions at the start of the forum but most of them were not taken seriously by the management. With time it's proven that I was right and that it was imperative to follow them to grow a large community. I won't waste my time anymore on it as mentioned a few times but I am trying to do my bits and pieces by staying here and keeping you engaged.

ThunderCat

Pakistan Military Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

We also have to closely scrutinize each thread that starts with unverified/unofficial social media handles, e.g., Facebook, YouTube, X, Reddit, etc. Disinformation is a big issue today, and people are abusing freedom of speech to spread fake news and propaganda to benefit their ulterior motives.
Secondly, this is a discussion forum to encourage original discussions on military and strategic topics, which is also a direct competition of social media. Redirecting traffic from Social media backward will not benefit this forum.
Finally, we don't want harmful opinions expressed in this forum to be viewed as the view of Pakistani people or establishment since this forum's name is "Pakistan Defense Forum".

Mostly agreed. But in order to report trolling, there should be a forum's legal "rule book" to define it and make it unacceptable.

As in username whoever gets flagged but the reason should be deemed unacceptable. Unless the forum adopts a rule forbidding a certain act, it might not be possible to flag let alone sanction a user for the act.

Lulldapull

Jan 26, 2024

@Mkesath @Lulldapull your input is welcomed on this thread
oh bhai I'm being accused of being a troll despite my best efforts at salvaging our country's situation by identifying the serious cultural/ social issues which have contributed toward our current situation. Most of us are good at heart and we only want our country to succeed. I don't understand what else could be the agenda.

Lulldapull

Jan 26, 2024

Some of us who are older can draw parallels on political situations which contributed to the dismantling of many nations and countries over the last generation or so. Some of us do know what is going on and how certain global players succeed in dismantling nations (no matter their victim's heritage or cultural history) or lack thereof. I will not stop supporting my country where I was born n raised. I see a threat to my country from a nationalist POV and I will defend my country despite being labelled as being ethnic or sectarian or biased or whatnot.

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

@Lulldapull , Claiming to love Pakistan doesn't give anyone a fee pass. Nazis, terrorists and ISIS claim to love their countries too. Many members here don't know anything about Pakistan other than hearsay or googling. But I and few others know exactly what you are doing.
All you have to do is to show by your action that you are a responsible forum member and not an Irani/Turani mouthpiece . Appeal to emotion is not necessary. We need to see your deeds.

Lulldapull

Jan 26, 2024

@Lulldapull , Claiming to love Pakistan doesn't give anyone a fee pass. Nazis, terrorists and ISIS claim to love their countries too. Many members here don't know anything about Pakistan other than hearsay or googling. But I and few others know exactly what you are doing.
All you have to do is to show by your action that you are a responsible forum member and not an Irani/Turani mouthpiece . Appeal to emotion is not necessary. We need to see your deeds.
It’s the same issue on the other pdf forum where if I say 5 sentences there is serious trouble and I get a 24 hr temp ban on my posting. How is this thread here that we are posting on against Pakistani interests? Or stirring ethnic tensions?

If you can explain to me then I will either stop, or leave.

Fair enough?

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

It’s the same issue on the other pdf forum where if I say 5 sentences there is serious trouble and I get a 24 hr temp ban on my posting. How is this thread here that we are posting on against Pakistani interests? Or stirring ethnic tensions?

If you can explain to me then I will either stop, or leave.

Fair enough?
The problem is you don't understand English. Because you didn't read my post here and replied out of context.

Users who are viewing this thread