🇧🇩 - Why BNP's talks with India failed | Pakistan Defense Forum

🇧🇩 Why BNP's talks with India failed (1 Viewer)

Currently reading:
🇧🇩 Why BNP's talks with India failed (1 Viewer)

G Bangladesh Defense Forum

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

Observers believe that the 10-truck arms ( Chittagong, 2004) is the main reason for the BNP's cold relations with India to date. There is criticism that the BNP government was forced to seize those weapons under pressure from India. Otherwise, it would have gone into the hands of Indian separatists. However, the BNP has always claimed that the huge consignment of arms was seized because the government took immediate action then. If the government wanted, they would have gone into the hands of Indian separatists. Twenty years later, the recovery of weapons continues. It is being considered as a thorn in India's neck with BNP.

Indian officials believe that arms have entered India's northeast through Bangladesh at different times, although not on such a large scale. The seizure of 10 truckloads of weapons showed it with a finger in the eye. The day after the recovery of arms in Chittagong, India's Assam Tribune published a report that 'this weapon is ULFA'. According to the report, Operation All Clear, conducted in Bhutan, completely destroyed the arsenal of ULFA. Since that operation, ULFA has been desperate to collect weapons. At that time, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi also made this assumption. He told the BBC that the weapons captured in Chittagong were probably being brought in to make up for the shock the ULFA guerrillas had suffered in western Bhutan and the amount of weapons they had lost. He also expressed gratitude to the then BNP government as the arms consignment was caught. After the recovery of the weapons, The Telegraph newspaper quoted the then Director General of Tripura Police GN Srivastava as saying that the shipment was coming for distribution among separatist groups in northeast India.

Major General (retd) Ganjit Singh, former deputy director general of India's Defence Intelligence Agency, said in an interview to India Today in 2023 that the 10 truckloads of weapons were not just for ULFA. Other separatists active in India's northeastern states would also get it. According to India Today, the then ULFA commander-in-chief, Paresh Barua, played a key role in bringing these weapons. He aimed to strengthen the separatist movement in Assam. Claiming that the incident was not beyond the knowledge of intelligence, the report said that the intelligence was keeping an eye on how and in which way the arms-laden ship was coming from the southern port of Bihais in China to Chittagong in Bangladesh. Singh. Paresh Barua coordinated the whole matter from a hotel at GEC intersection in Chittagong. In the Tarique Rahman-led BNP meeting with the Indian delegation on European soil, the involvement of the top leadership of the 2001-06 government in arms smuggling was rejected. At the same time, the 'neutral' position of friend India is sought on any issue of Bangladesh. Many in the Awami League also tried to convince them that they do not like the one-sided position of war-friendly India. The discussion was taking place in a quiet town in Europe. But no, that discussion is not reflected. Still, the opposite has been done in Bangladesh's much-discussed 12th parliamentary election, which is making the whole of Bangladeshanti-India today without the beneficiaries of power! Politicians and intellectuals are worried that this will cause unrest for both countries.
Read in details here ভারতের সঙ্গে বিএনপি'র আলোচনা কেন ব্যর্থ হয় (mzamin.com)

Bilal9

Bangladeshi & Senior Moderator
Jan 24, 2024
Interesting thread. The main question though (beyond the 10 truck arms fiasco and supporting insurgency inside India), is BNP's anti-India stance at this time going to bode well for their future as a credible political entity outside Bangladesh, and especially in India?

They are fully engrossed in and have now offered their full backing as a party against the "#Boycott India" and "#India Out" campaigns in Bangladesh - which, though popular was not a full-on political movement. Is this going to work for them in hopes of regime change?

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

Interesting thread. The main question though (beyond the 10 truck arms fiasco and supporting insurgency inside India), is BNP's anti-India stance at this time going to bode well for their future as a credible political entity outside Bangladesh, and especially in India?

They are fully engrossed in and have now offered their full backing as a party against the "#Boycott India" and "#India Out" campaigns in Bangladesh - which, though popular was not a full-on political movement. Is this going to work for them in hopes of regime change?
If you read the whole article ভারতের সঙ্গে বিএনপি’র আলোচনা কেন ব্যর্থ হয় , you can see that BNP is not acceptable to the Indians under current leadership. Tareq Rehman still has the US visa ban imposed on him in 2008, as you see here US envoy recommended ban on Tarique: Wikileaks . Tareq Reman stil is unwanted in the USA. BNP leadership has done much lobbying work in the USA, but they have not been able to remove this visa ban to date. All these BNP activities in the state department seem to be more directed toward anti-BAL rather than pro-BNP.

Most importantly, China (the biggest financial donor in UN peace missions)was instrumental in overthrowing BNP-backed Iajuddin CA on 1/11, 2007. BNP supporters have not discussed Tareq's anti-China and pro-Taiwan activities. They do not know how serious the Taiwan issue is for China. The Chinese leadership did their best to convince Khaleda Zia to change their pro-Taiwan policies when Khaleda Zia last visited Beijing in 2005 after setting up the Taiwanese Visa office in Dhaka and the Bangladesh Visa office in Taipei under the disguise of a cultural office in 2004. The result was a big zero. Hasina promised the Chinese that she would shut down the Taiwanese office if she got to power, and she kept her promise in 2009.

This month, BNP did not attend the Pakistan Day grand reception on 23 March, while many senior BAL leaders were present. They still want to please India but do not address India's core issues with them.

Now, you tell me how any party can be in power in Bangladesh if it is unacceptable to both India and China. Are BNP supporters so ignorant that they stop thinking for themselves outside their party propaganda lines? Are you addressing these serious issues in your Bangladesh section of this forum among thousands of threads? Unfortunately, I have seen an utter denial of reality so far.

Last edited:

Vikings

Feb 13, 2024

If you read the whole article ভারতের সঙ্গে বিএনপি’র আলোচনা কেন ব্যর্থ হয় , you can see that BNP is not acceptable to the Indians under current leadership. Tareq Rehman still has the US visa ban imposed on him in 2008, as you see here US envoy recommended ban on Tarique: Wikileaks . Tareq Reman stil is unwanted in the USA. BNP leadership has done much lobbying work in the USA, but they have not been able to remove this visa ban to date. All these BNP activities in the state department seem to be more directed toward anti-BAL rather than pro-BNP.

Most importantly, China (the biggest financial donor in UN peace missions)was instrumental in overthrowing BNP-backed Iajuddin CA on 1/11, 2007. BNP supporters have not discussed Tareq's anti-China and pro-Taiwan activities. They do not know how serious the Taiwan issue is for China. The Chinese leadership did their best to convince Khaleda Zia to change their pro-Taiwan policies when Khaleda Zia last visited Beijing in 2005 after setting up the Taiwanese Visa office in Dhaka and the Bangladesh Visa office in Taipei under the disguise of a cultural office in 2004. The result was a big zero. Hasina promised the Chinese that she would shut down the Taiwanese office if she got to power, and she kept her promise in 2009.

This month, BNP did not attend the Pakistan Day grand reception on 23 March, while many senior BAL leaders were present. They still want to please India but do not address India's core issues with them.

Now, you tell me how any party can be in power in Bangladesh if it is unacceptable to both India and China. Are BNP supporters so ignorant that they stop thinking for themselves outside their party propaganda lines? Are you addressing these serious issues in your Bangladesh section of this forum among thousands of threads? Unfortunately, I have seen an utter denial of reality so far.
@Old School bhai , so it's clear that China, USA and India are all in the same boat on Tareq Rahman's case! Very interesting!

Still most of BNP supporters dream that once he will be the PM of Bangladesh, because BNP has popular votes!

But if someone is unfavorable by every everyone, I don't think there is any reason for his party survive with current leadership!

Last edited:

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

@Old School bhai , so it's clear that China, USA and India are all in the same boat on Tareq Rahman's case! Very interesting!

Still most of BNP supporters dream that once he will be the PM of Bangladesh, because BNP has popular votes!

But if someone is unfavorable by every everyone, I don't think there is any reason for his party survive with current leadership!
They keep blaming everyone, including India, for hiding the fact that Tareq has no legitimacy among key international parties. They do not ask why no international head of state or senior leader has ever officially met with Tareq Rehman or any BNP leader in all 15 years, even though he lives in the UK, because he has zero acceptability and he is a liability. Still , only Indian South Block officials privately see a BNP team lead by Khasru and Mintoo in New Delhi time to time but then you have anti-India campaign. I have never seen such contradiction in my life. But their supporters are blind anyway.

Vikings

Feb 13, 2024

They keep blaming everyone, including India, for hiding the fact that Tareq has no legitimacy among key international parties. They do not ask why no international head of state or senior leader has ever officially met with Tareq Rehman or any BNP leader in all 15 years, even though he lives in the UK, because he has zero acceptability and he is a liability. Still , only Indian South Block officials privately see a BNP team lead by Khasru and Mintoo in New Delhi time to time but then you have anti-India campaign. I have never seen such contradiction in my life. But their supporters are blind anyway.
@Old School bhai , what's your take on BNP and jama'at reuniting? Is it because USA isn't at war with so called terrorism and miserably failed to kick out Hasina? Hence BNP found it useless to cut ties with a pan Islamic party?

However i think BNP jamaat alliance won't benefit a lot this time, because BAL has already the "Nouka of Nuh Nobi" ( Noah's ark) , validated by some Mullahs! :ROFLMAO:

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

@Old School bhai , what's your take on BNP and jama'at reuniting? Is it because USA isn't at war with so called terrorism and miserably failed to kick out Hasina? Hence BNP found it useless to cut ties with a pan Islamic party?

However i think BNP jamaat alliance won't benefit a lot this time, because BAL has already the "Nouka of Nuh Nobi" ( Noah's ark) , validated by some Mullahs! :ROFLMAO:
Jamaat has always been a parasite financial cult disguised as an Islamic party, even in Pakistan. Saudis have cut ties with them since MBS took over. Now, Turkey is their main international patron, while many of their leaders based in Turkey are doing money laundering even for BAL leaders. BAL has effectively clipped the wings of JI in Bangladesh after taking control of their major financial backbone, including Islami Bank and Mir Qasem Ali's business empire. His son, BArrister Arman, is still in the DGFI-operated "Black Hole".
BNP needs JI only for funding and manpower purposes.

Bilal9

Jan 24, 2024

All valid points - however I will leave it to others here to comment who follow Bangladesh politics much more closely. BNP has a dearth of capable leadership right now, though they still enjoy substantial grassroots support as it seems. They have not made the right moves historically either, as you so adeptly point out.

BNP as a political entity minus Tareq is not a viable proposition unfortunately - so things are at a stalemate, sort of. I don't think even a lot of BNP supporters care about Tareq being at the helm.

Vikings

Feb 13, 2024

though they still enjoy substantial grassroots support as it seems.
@Bilal9 , bhai I'm afraid that (imo) they have more grassroot supporters than BAL ; at least visible supporters!

Because lots of BNP supporters are rural folks and once they used to say , "Dhan khai Dhane vote dei," and nowadays the propaganda, "BAL = by default Indian stooge and want destruction of Islam and Muslims," made many of them more reliant on BNP because of their alliance with jamatis!

It's a dangerous trend , so I feel that if you let them choose their government by a free and fair election, Bangladesh is doomed!

So it's better if we have a robust deep state and they select their front face , as they are doing now!

Old School

Senior Moderator
Jan 26, 2024

All valid points - however I will leave it to others here to comment who follow Bangladesh politics much more closely.
That is exactly the problem. It is not possible to follow politics by reading articles. One must have first hand contact with the leadership. Most of those people with first hand contact in BD are unable to type. Those who can type , are not interested in the forum. I usually convey messages here on behalf of people whom you may know by their names.

Bilal9

Jan 24, 2024
That is exactly the problem. It is not possible to follow politics by reading articles. One must have first hand contact with the leadership. Most of those people with first hand contact in BD are unable to type. Those who can type , are not interested in the forum. I usually convey messages here on behalf of people whom you may know by their names.

I agree bhai. Most of us are not lucky enough to have worked in diplomatic circles as you have.

Your contribution and thoughtful insights are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread