What's new

🇧🇩 Bangladesh Film Industry (2 Viewers)

G Bangladesh Defense Forum

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Sohel Chowdhury's daughter speaks out on murder verdict

1715296989371.png

Photos: Collected

Prominent film actor Sohel Chowdhury was shot dead by some unidentified criminals at Trumps Club in Abedin Tower in Banani, on December 18, 1998.

Twenty-five years later, a Dhaka tribunal today sentenced three people, including businessman Aziz Mohammad Bhai, to life imprisonment in the case filed over the murder of the actor.

As the verdict was announced by Judge Arunabh Chakraborty of the Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal-2, Sohel Chowdhury's daughter Lamia Chowdhury explains her deep angst over the incident.

"No matter what happens now, my father will not come back. What they (the criminals) have done, they will have to answer for it themselves. Their imprisonment, whether they live up to it or not, would not make the pain that we have been through go away."

"My father's death has had a deep impact on my life, it will not change in any way. I have to live with reality. We haven't seen any change in our lives due to their trial, nor will there be," she added.

Two other convicts are the owner of Afakul Islam alias Bunty Islam and Adnan Siddiqui. All the three convicts have been shown fugitives.

Judge Arunabh Chakrabarty of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-2 of Dhaka pronounced the verdict at 1:15pm. The judge also fined them Tk 2 lakh each, in default of which they will have to serve one month more in jail.

In the judgment, the judge said the prosecution was able to prove the charges brought against the three accused undoubtedly and they were given the punishment for committing such offenses.

Actors Sohel Chowdhury and Parveen Sultana Diti have two children. The eldest daughter, Lamia Chowdhury was always there for her mother after losing her father. Their son Shafayat Chowdhury completed his studies at a university in Canada and settled in Europe, after graduation. Lamia became interested in filmmaking after studying at the Toronto Film School in Canada. She returned to the country after completing her studies and currently working on an individual project produced by Azmeri Haque Badhan.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Shakib Khan and Mimi Chakraborty sizzle in official 'Toofan' poster

1715418284949.png

Photo: Collected

Earlier this week, Raihan Rafi stirred up a storm on social media with the release of the first teaser for the Shakib Khan-starrer "Toofan". Shakib's intense portrayal as a gangster and his powerful dialogue delivery captured the attention of netizens.

Today, the director has unveiled an official poster of "Toofan", showcasing Shakib Khan and Mimi Chakraborty in a captivating and sizzling look.

On the poster, Shakib Khan maintains a nonchalant expression, clad in a stylish grey suit paired with a white shirt. Meanwhile, Mimi Chakraborty exudes glamour in a deep purple sequined dress, emanating a scintillating presence. Their first look hints that audiences will admire the sizzling chemistry of this new on-screen pair this upcoming Eid.

The film is scheduled to be released on Eid-ul-Azha. The Raihan Rafi directorial film also stars Masooma Nabila, Misha Swadagar, and Jisshu Sengupta, amongst others.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Bangladesh Film Censor Board forms new committee

1715555749704.png

The Bangladesh Film Censor Board has formed a new committee of 15 members for the upcoming fiscal year.

Today, a statement signed by the Deputy Secretary of the Ministry of Information, Saiful Islam, was issued by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and was announced to the media.

According to the President's directive, it has been stated that the reformation of the censor board that the Secretary of the Ministry of Information has been appointed as the Chairman, and the Vice Chairman of the censor board will now be the Member Secretary of the new committee.

In this new committee, among the members from the acting profession are Sujata Azim, Aruna Biswas, Rokeya Prachi, Purnima and Azizul Hakim. Additionally, film producer Khasru and filmmaker Jahangir Alam will also serve as members of the committee for one year.

In addition, the current management director of the BFDC, Nuzhat Yasmin, and the president of the Directors' Association, Kazi Hayat, are also included in the committee.

Besides, there are other members including the Secretary of the Law and Justice Division, the Prime Minister's Press Secretary, the Deputy Secretary (Administration and Film) of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, and a representative from the Public Security Division of the Home Ministry.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Bangladeshi director wins big at UK Asian Film Festival

1715728565906.png

Photo: Courtesy

Young and talented Bangladeshi director Riad Arfin has recently clinched the Best Short Film award at the UK Asian Film Festival for his captivating work, "A Border Between Us", which intricately examines the nuanced differences between two individual cultures.

Amongst the distinguished guests at the UK Asian Film Festival was Shabana Azmi, alongside notable Bollywood celebrities like Karisma Kapoor and Sonali Bose.

The 14-minute film follows a Bangladeshi man's odyssey across continents to reunite with his partner in the UK, only to confront unforeseen obstacles in pursuing his heart's desire.

Exploring the intricacies of interracial relationships, grappling with visa regulations, and acclimatising to a foreign milieu, the film poignantly depicts the couple's quest to establish a shared home in a space that harmoniously accommodates their disparate backgrounds.

Having premiered at the Edinburgh International Film Festival, the film has garnered acclaim at various esteemed festivals and is slated to be showcased at the upcoming DC/DOX Film Festival in the USA.

Riad Arfin's directorial prowess has previously been recognised at the International short and independent film festival oganised by the Bangladesh Short Film Forum in 2014, where his film "A Bus Ride" was awarded the Best Film at the Tarek Shahriar Independent category.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Film selection is paramount for an artiste: Chanchal Chowdhury

1715816292349.png

Photos: Courtesy

Chanchal Chowdhury, a celebrated figure in Bangladeshi cinema, garnered widespread recognition for his portrayal of renowned Indian filmmaker Mrinal Sen in the film "Padatik" when it premiered at a film festival last year.

Following the release of its official teaser yesterday (May 14), he again found himself awash in a sea of admiration. From fellow artistes and directors to devoted fans, supporters, and close companions, the chorus of praise for his performance has been resounding far and wide.

1715816336616.png

Famed actress Suborna Mustafa expressed her anticipation and well wishes on Facebook, stating, "Waiting waiting, love, and prayers." In response, Chanchal remarked that the outpouring of love and support from her and many others means a great deal to him.

To The Daily Star, Chanchal Chowdhury expressed that when exemplary work is accomplished, it becomes a collective achievement involving everyone. "Regardless of whoever achieves praises, the work ought to simply become a collective accomplishment. As a result, the filmmakers and artistes will become motivated to take on ten more quality projects, driving the industry forward.

"When discussing embracing the challenge of representing Bangladesh in the heart of the Kolkata film. He noted, "Director Srijit Mukherji had the option to cast any actor from India but he chose me. It was a huge role to undertake as I aimed to meet the expectations of both Bangladeshi and Kolkata audiences who admire my body of work. My performance was not just a personal challenge, but also a window of opportunity to bring recognition to Bangladesh and its film industry."

1715816370602.png

"The admiration I have been receiving for the portrayal of Mrinal Sen on screen belongs entirely to Bangladesh," Chanchal further claimed.

Intriguingly, not everyone knows that Chanchal Chowdhury initially declined the role of Mrinal Sen, he elaborated, "I questioned 'how could I possibly embody such a prominent figure like Sen?' In response, Srijit da reassured me by asking me to leave everything in his hands. Today, I can resolutely claim that Mrinal Sen in 'Padatik' is the creation of Srijit Mukherji. I am grateful to him."

Indian actress Monami Ghosh notably portrayed the character of Sen's wife in the film amidst other cast members. He commended her acting qualities and said, "She did a good job, as did all the other fellow actors. It was a wonderful experience working with them. Additionally, the movie contains many big surprises that will be evident after its release."

1715816425481.png

He dropped a hint about the surprise by mentioning appearances of portrayals of renowned directors like Satyajit Ray and Ritwik Ghatak as characters in the film. Audiences can anticipate encountering these surprises as the film progresses.

On the professionalism of the Indian film industry, he said, "It is highly professional and well-organised — something to be admired."

Chanchal Chowdhury confessed that he couldn't fathom being offered the role of Mrinal Sen, "Nevertheless, as events unfolded, all my focus centered on bringing his character to life. It wasn't a fleeting process; day after day, I devoted myself to honing the role."

In reference to the film "Padatik", Chanchal further detailed, "I had to learn everything related to Mrinal Sen's mannerisms, speech patterns, and overall demeanour. Extensive research was imperative, and I received valuable assistance from the director throughout the process."

Despite the tragic loss of his father during the filming of "Padatik", Chanchal Chowdhury persevered. Reflecting on this difficult time, he shared, "When my father passed away, grief engulfed me. But Srijit da stepped in, telling me to focus on being Mrinal Sen in front of the camera and to remain myself off-camera."

"With this directive in mind, I continued his work with the support of Srijit Mukherji, whom I regard as a remarkable filmmaker," expressed Chanchal.

The film "Padatik" is set to be featured at the Chicago International Film Festival this upcoming July. Kunal Sen, son of the acclaimed Mrinal Sen and a Chicago resident, is set to preview the film first. A special exhibition will accompany the screening, with renowned actor Chanchal Chowdhury in attendance.

At last, when asked him if he believed he had a special knack for choosing successful films. He replied, "Success comes from deliberate action. I receive hundreds of film offers, but I'm very selective. Every decision of mine is carefully considered. After my stint in the film 'Padatik', I've been meticulous with my film choices. For an artiste, picking the right projects is crucial. That's what I believe."​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

I feel hopeful about the future of Bangladeshi cinema: Afzal Hossain

1716678361975.png

Evergreen actor Afzal Hossain has been enjoying a delightful stay in the United States with his family. The star has been spotted spending quality time with his wife and children. During his stay in America, the actor took the opportunity to catch a Bangladeshi film at the theatre, and it was none other than the "Deyaler Desh".

The movie "Deyaler Desh", directed by Mishuk Moni, features Sariful Razz and Bubly in the leading roles.

To being asked about his feelings about watching "Deyaler Desh" so far from home during his stay in America, Afzal Hossain remarked, "The film has a fantastic storyline. I am thrilled to watch the movie anywhere. Our country's cinema has made remarkable strides and is garnering well-deserved praise. It's a true delight for the audience to witness such a masterpiece".

To read the rest of the news, please click on the link above.

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Shakib Khan wraps up 'Toofan' shoot, returns home after 41 days

1716770768154.png

Dhallywood actor Shakib Khan has returned to Dhaka this afternoon after wrapping up his part of the shooting of his much-anticipated film "Toofan".

The actor had completed a 41-day shooting schedule in India for the film, which is set to release this Eid-ul-Azha. Shakib also completed the dubbing for the movie, sources familiar with the matter shared with The Daily Star.

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Burak, hero of Kurulus: Osman series, in an open jeep on streets of Dhaka
27 May 2024, 12:00 am

1716773412718.png

Entertainment Report :

The hero of the popular Turkish series 'Kurulus Osman' Burak Özçivit is roaming the streets of Dhaka in an open jeep. At this time, he waved his hand to the fans and the audience and exchanged greetings.

In a video on Sunday (May 26), Burak was seen travelling in an open jeep on a street in Gulshan of the capital. Fans crowd around him. Burak's fans and well-wishers are walking around his car.

This time he was seen shaking hands. Many people climbed the roof of different houses to see this favourite hero. Earlier on Friday, May 24, he reached Dhaka. It is known that Burak came to Bangladesh at the invitation of a multinational organisation. As an actor, Burak Özçivit is not only popular in Turkey. He has caught the attention of the world by playing the role of Osman, the first emperor of the Ottoman Empire.

He has many fans in Dhaka. Due to his popularity, around 16 million people follow him on social media.​

Bilal9

Bangladeshi & Senior Moderator
Jan 24, 2024

Sohel Chowdhury's daughter speaks out on murder verdict

View attachment 5784

Prominent film actor Sohel Chowdhury was shot dead by some unidentified criminals at Trumps Club in Abedin Tower in Banani, on December 18, 1998.

Twenty-five years later, a Dhaka tribunal today sentenced three people, including businessman Aziz Mohammad Bhai, to life imprisonment in the case filed over the murder of the actor.

As the verdict was announced by Judge Arunabh Chakraborty of the Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal-2, Sohel Chowdhury's daughter Lamia Chowdhury explains her deep angst over the incident.

Actors Sohel Chowdhury and Parveen Sultana Diti have two children. The eldest daughter, Lamia Chowdhury was always there for her mother after losing her father. Their son Shafayat Chowdhury completed his studies at a university in Canada and settled in Europe, after graduation. Lamia became interested in filmmaking after studying at the Toronto Film School in Canada. She returned to the country after completing her studies and currently working on an individual project produced by Azmeri Haque Badhan.​

May Allah help Lamia cope with the grief of her father's murder - due to his involvement with real life villain Aziz Mohammad Bhai, who openly flouts life imprisonment sentences (he must have had a dozen of these by now) by running his companies via proxies and by living life overseas (Thailand - for those interested).

But - Allah's justice is swift and certain. I will be very surprised if AMB does not get his businesses and bank accounts seized via some Anti Corruption Commission verdict. Bigger fish are getting caught nowadays.

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

May Allah help Lamia cope with the grief of her father's murder - due to his involvement with real life villain Aziz Mohammad Bhai, who openly flouts life imprisonment sentences (he must have had a dozen of these by now) by running his companies via proxies and by living life overseas (Thailand - for those interested).

But - Allah's justice is swift and certain. I will be very surprised if AMB does not get his businesses and bank accounts seized via some Anti Corruption Commission verdict. Bigger fish are getting caught nowadays.
Aziz Mohammad Bhai is a Mafia Don. Not much can be done via Dudok. He has a strong political connection which helps him evading law enforcement agencies net. In the past, Aziz Mohammad Bhai used our film industry to whiten his black money.

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

I have never seen fans as crazy as those in Bangladesh: Burak Özçivit

1716852910787.png

The Turkish series "Kuruluş: Osman" enjoys a huge fan base in Bangladesh, thanks to the drama being dubbed in Bangla on various TV channels and YouTube.

Burak Özçivit, who plays Osman Bey, has made a strong impression on Bangladeshi fans with his exceptional acting and impressive physique. When Burak came to Bangladesh to attend a press conference for Singer Bangladesh, fans eagerly awaited his arrival.

Hundreds of people gathered on the streets to catch a glimpse of Burak. The actor arrived like a king, traveling through Dhaka in an open jeep to greet and interact with his fans, waving and greeting them along the way.

At the press conference, he told the media that while he has fans all over the world, he has never witnessed such enthusiastic fandom in other countries.

"I have been to many countries, including Pakistan, but I have never seen so many passionate fans as I have in Bangladesh," said the actor.

Burak also stated, "No matter who I work with, there is a need for loyalty. Beko is a trusted company, and I have brought this trusted organisation to Bangladesh as Singer Beko for you."

At the press conference, Singer Bangladesh, a subsidiary of Arcelik under Türkiye's Koç Group, announced the initiative titled "Transformation Journey with Burak Özçivit." Burak became a partner in this journey by participating in several creative projects.
The introduction of a new concept store, corporate office, and manufacturing plant marks the foundation of this transformation.

MHM Fairoz, Managing Director and CEO of Singer Bangladesh Limited, and Handan Abdurrahmanoğlu, Director of South Asia Regional Marketing, Business Transformation, and Growth at Arcelik, were present at the event.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

25 years of Shakib Khan: 249 films, hits, and more to come

1716937774982.png

Megastar Shakib Khan has been single-handedly dominating our film industry for over two decades now. The actor, who began his career with Sohanur Rahman Sohan's "Ananta Bhalobasha" ( May 28, 1999), has thus completed 25 years in Dhallywood, today. With years of experience under his belt, the star remains dedicated to immersing himself in his characters, captivating audiences worldwide, and consistently setting records at the box office.

Touted as the number one hero of Bangladesh, Shakib Khan has earned the respect of his contemporaries for his formidable performances on the silver screen. From working in Pan-India films to collaborating with major giants like SVF, Chorki, and Alpha i on big-budget projects, Shakib Khan consistently proves to his critics and peers alike that he is here to stay.

He has won four National Film Awards for his exceptional performances in "Bhalobaslei Ghor Bandha Jay Na", "Khodar Pore Ma", "Aro Bhalobashbo Tomai", and "Swatta".

Shakib Khan has appeared in nearly 249 movies. His latest film, "Rajkumar", was released last Eid-ul-Fitr. Following the success of his last two movies, "Leader: Amie Bangladesh," directed by Topu Khan in 2023, and Himel Ashraf's "Priyotoma", the actor increased his remuneration fee to Tk 1 crore, which remains unchanged. According to the production company Versatile Media, their movie "Priyotoma" has performed exceptionally well, grossing Tk 41 crore worldwide.

Another fascinating aspect of Shakib Khan's career is that in the films where he has portrayed lead roles, a remarkable 94 movies were released during the Eid festivities.

The star enjoys a fan base in both Kolkata and Bangladesh and his film's songs are quite popular in both Bengals. Shakib Khan and Misha Sawdagar's hero-villain arc pairing was seen in 126 movies together. Notably, he is the first actor from Bangladesh to work in the first Pan-Indian movie directed by Anonno Mamun called "Dorod".

The Dhallywood megastar has acted opposite 70 heroines from Bangladesh and abroad. However, he has worked with Apu Biswas the most. They have acted in 72 movies amongst which their notable movies are "Koti Takar Kabin", "Pitar Ason", "Tomar Jonno Morte Pari", and "My Name is Khan", amongst others.

Shakib Khan and Shobnom Yesmin Bubly have worked in 11 movies amidst which "Bossgiri", "Bir", "Password", and "Leader: Amie Bangladesh" are notable.

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Humayun Faridee: Remembering the 'actors' actor'

1717026052664.png

"Nothing in this universe is as serene, as profoundly beautiful, as death. For death is inevitable. If you are born, you must die. Remembering this truth, we would not stray into sin. To embrace the inevitable is the truest wisdom, and in it lies the deepest peace," the prodigal son of Bengal, the late Humayun Faridee once shared on death in a profound interview.

"Fearing death is a folly. The wise do not fear its approach. Embrace it, accept it, welcome it, and you will discover an extraordinary beauty in life," the artiste elaborated who left us on a spring evening 14 years ago.

Humayun Faridee, a luminary of Bangladeshi stages, screens, and television, took his final breath on February 13, 2012, in Dhaka. Yet his physical departure does not signify erasure. His creations and artistry have transcended time, rendering him immortal in the hearts of his admirers. While literal victory over death is unattainable, Faridee achieved a form of immortality through the enduring legacy of his work.

Born on May 29, 1952, in Dhaka, Faridee pursued his education in Economics at Jahangirnagar University. It was during his university years that he became involved with theatre under the tutelage of one of the brightest stars of the Bangladeshi theatre scene, Natyacharya Selim Al Deen. On stage, he delivered iconic performances in plays such as "Tritirtha", "Kittankhola", "Muntasir Fantasy", and "Keramat Mangal".

Faridee, a charismatic actor often hailed as the actor's actor and an ideal artiste, captivated many with his expressive gestures, hearty laughter, and compelling personality. His personal life stories have inspired countless individuals. His journey began on stage at the tender age of 12, performing his first play in a neighbourhood theatre in Kishoreganj in 1964.

During his school years, Faridee directed his first play, "Bhoot". By 1976, he emerged as one of the key organisers of the inaugural theatre festival at Jahangirnagar University. It was during his university days that he became affiliated with Dhaka Theatre, further showcasing his acting prowess nationwide as a member of the Bangladesh Village Theatre (Gramm Theatre). His formal journey commenced with Jahangirnagar University's inter-theatre competition, where he wrote, directed, and acted in the play "Atmastha O Hironmoyider Brittanto", which was adjudged the best amongst five competing plays.

Users who are viewing this thread