Currently reading:
🇧🇩 Bangladesh Film Industry (1 Viewer)

G Bangladesh Defense Forum

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Sonu Nigam, Arijit Singh lend voices to Chanchal Chowdhury starrer film
1717804691740.png

Photos: Collected

Popular Indian singers Sonu Nigam and Arijit Singh have lent their voices to the film "Padatik", starring Chanchal Chowdhury. As per reports, the song will be released tomorrow. Directed by Srijit Mukherji, the film is a biopic of the eminent subcontinental filmmaker Mrinal Sen.

Chanchal Chowdhury shared this information on his social handle, saying that the song titled "Tu Zinda Hain" will be revealed tomorrow at 10am as part of a surprise promotional campaign before the film's release.

On May 14, the teaser of the film was released which shed light on how Srijit portrays Mrinal Sen in it.

From the teaser, it can be inferred that "Padatik" depicts the story of Mrinal Sen's journey from childhood to becoming a filmmaker, including his professional and personal life. This biopic showcases how Mrinal Sen became a filmmaker and subsequently chose cinema as a medium to speak for the people — depicting their struggles, existence, and stories of survival and loss on celluloid. These stories have been acclaimed in the global cinema arena.

The shooting of the film began somewhat secretly on January 15 last year and took place in several locations, including Kolkata and Mumbai. Some scenes were also shot outside India.

Last year marked the birth centenary of Mrinal Sen and to pay tribute to him, Srijit Mukherji initiated directing "Padatik" based on the life, work, and times of the late filmmaker. Besides Chanchal Chowdhury, the film features performances by Monami Ghosh, Jeetu Kamal, and many others.

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

'I am sorry, please don't dwell on my past actions': Pori Moni to Mim
1717892092487.png

Photo: Collected

In 2022, Pori Moni and Bidya Sinha Mim engaged in a tug of war on social media, where Pori Moni accused Mim of trying to get close to her then-husband, Sariful Razz. The "Gunin" actress posted a series of statuses where she accused Mim of "mingling too much" with Sariful Razz and not "being satisfied with her husband."

Afterward, Mim posted a detailed status stating that she would take legal action against those attempting to tarnish her reputation. She also shared with The Daily Star that she would no longer act with Sariful Razz in movies due to the controversy. The incident led to a social media frenzy as people wondered when the mud-slinging would stop.

Fast forward to 2024, Pori Moni has divorced Sariful Razz, and it appears that all the bad blood between the two actresses is over. They publicly buried the hatchet at Dhaka Fashion Day 2024 yesterday, where Pori Moni walked down the ramp alongside other celebrities, including Bidya Sinha Mim, Sabila Nur, Puja Chery, and Tanjin Tisha.

Mim revealed to Prothom Alo what Pori Moni said to her at the event, sharing, "Two years ago, Pori Moni humiliated me with false claims on her Facebook status, that too on my birthday night. That whole incident scarred me a lot. After that incident, I tried to avoid her at public events. Prior to walking down the stage, all of us were standing behind the stage. Suddenly, Pori Moni hugged me and said she knew I was still upset with her."

"'Are you still mad at me? I am really sorry. Please forget what I said to you back then. Don't you love my children?' She further asked. I wasn't really prepared for that interaction, including her coming to me and hugging me. Many people noticed the incident, including Sabila Nur, and Tanjin Tisha, among others."

Mim said that before entering the stage and even towards the end of the program, Pori Moni kept repeating the same statements to her and hugged her twice.

When asked what she said to Pori Moni in response, Mim revealed, "I told her I really love her child, as I used to visit her house to see him. However, I decided to ask her once and for all, 'Pori, I have never wronged you. Why did you have to belittle me on social media with such lies? I was really hurt by your status at that time.'"

"After hearing that, Pori Moni replied, 'Please forget all of that. I am really sorry for everything that I have said about you. Please don't take my actions to heart.'"

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Bangladeshi film 'Fatima' bags award in film fest in London
Cultural Correspondent 09 June, 2024, 18:36

1718152811769.png

The directorial venture of Bangladeshi filmmaker Mohammed Moin Uddin Hasan titled 'Fatima' bagged the Best Film award in the 25th Rainbow International Film Festival in London on Sunday.

Earlier, 'Fatima' bagged award at the 42nd edition of the Fajr International Film Festival in Tehran, Iran.

As Moin Uddin Hasan did not receive the visa to attend the festival from the British high commission in Dhaka, the actress of the film Tasnia Farin received the award on behalf of the director.

'The festival authority had arranged a few events, which I was scheduled to attend. But, I am delighted to bag the award,' Moin Uddin Hasan told New Age.

He also said that an award always encouraged an artiste.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Those who lack merit resort to criticism: Shakib Khan
1718406425344.png

Photo: Collected

Over the past two years, no film featuring Shakib Khan has premiered outside the Eid season. This pattern has sparked criticism, with many speculating that Shakib avoids non-Eid releases out of fear of box office failure. True to form, Shakib Khan's latest movie, "Toofan", is set to release this Eid-ul-Azha.

Directed by Raihan Rafi, the film revolves around the story of a 90s gangster. Alongside Shakib, the cast includes "Aynabaji" famed Masuma Rahman Nabila and Tollywood actress Mimi Chakraborty, with Chanchal Chowdhury making a special appearance.

To mark the film's release, the "Toofan" team held a press conference yesterday. Shakib Khan attended the event, where he discussed the film and responded to criticism regarding his decision to release movies exclusively during Eid.

The Dhallywood superstar addressed the critics, stating, "There are always people who have something to say. Now they're raising questions about why my movies aren't released outside of Eid. I've been in the industry for 25 years, and my success is well-established. I don't feel the need to prove myself anymore."

"My focus is on working for those who support me. When I returned from the US, my aim was to honour the love of those standing in line just to see me at the airport. I want to repay their loyalty by acting in high-quality films. Without quality, how can we compete? If our films aren't good enough to be shown in our country's multiplexes, let alone internationally, how can we hope to stand alongside Hollywood and Bollywood? Quality is essential for that," he added.

Shakib further remarked, "Our goal is to advance Bengali cinema without paying heed to detractors. Those who constantly find faults and try to hold Bengali cinema back fail to recognise the quality and often try to obscure it. Frankly, they lack merit themselves, which is why they resort to criticism. Support good Bengali movies, whether they are mine or someone else's, and don't listen to the naysayers."

Looking ahead, Shakib Khan revealed that his films will also be released on occasions other than Eid. He stated, "My movies will be released in the future, apart from Eid."

Shakib's upcoming film "Dorod" is set to be released independently of Eid, as per the creators, along with a few more projects in the pipeline.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Actress Sunetra dies aged 53
Cultural Correspondent 14 June, 2024, 21:02

1718494104934.png

Rani Sunetra Kumar. | Collected photo.

Actress Rani Sunetra Kumar, popularly known as Sunetra, died in Kolkata, India on April 20. She was 53.

The former general secretary of Bangladesh Film Artistes Association, Zayed Khan, confirmed the news on Friday.

Zayed Khan, who is currently in Mumbai, said that Sunetra died in Kolkata on April 20.

'She passed away in Kolkata on April 20. She often spoke to me when I was the general secretary of Bangladesh Film Artistes Association. We will miss her,' said Zayed Khan.

Sunetra was born on July 7, 1970. She made her silver screen debut in Dhallywood acting opposite Zafar Iqbal in Usila in 1985.

She received a huge response for acting in Delwar Jahan Jhontu's 'Palki' in 1990.

She acted opposite Joshim, Shohel Rana, Farooque, Zafar Iqbal and others during her career.

She acted in films, including Shuktara, Sinthir Sindoor, Chhobol, Boner Moto Bon, Bhul Bichar, Alan Dulal, Raja Jony, Shimul Parul, Ghar Bhanga Ghar, Badsha Bhai and others.​

Users who are viewing this thread