Currently reading:
🇧🇩 Bangladesh Film Industry (2 Viewers)

G Bangladesh Defense Forum

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Mithila wins prestigious award for 'O Abhagi'

1714606678444.png
Photo: Collected

Rafiath Rashid Mithila won the Best Actress award for her performance in the film "O Abhagi'" at the 14th Dada Saheb Phalke Film Festival 2024 in Delhi yesterday.

The elated actress officially announced the news on her official Facebook page, stating, "I am elated to share with you all this wonderful news. I want to thank my director, Anirban Chakraborty, our producer Dr Prabir Bhaumik, and our entire team. I really couldn't have won this without their love and support."

The Anirban Chakraborty directorial film is an adaptation of Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's classic short story "Abhagir Swargo".

The film's central concept revolves around a woman's struggle to save her chastity amidst societal pressures, portraying how terrifying the oppression of the so-called upper class in society can be.

The film also features Subrata Datta, Debyani Chattopadhyay, Ishan Mazumdar, Sayan Ghosh, Jiniya Pandey, Krishna Bandopadhyay, and Sourav Haldar amongst others.

The Dada Saheb Phalke Film Festival is a non-profit, non-commercial event and India's sole independent film festival. Established in 2011 in Delhi NCR, its mission is to celebrate the cinema and the work of aspiring, young, independent, and professional filmmakers.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Tareen checkmates first Kolkata movie
4 May 2024, 12:00 am

1714780290339.png

Sheikh Arif Bulbon :

Tareen Jahan is one of the most popular actresses of TV dramas in Bangladesh. She is considered by her next generation of artistes as the path of acting.

For more than three decades, this very talented actress has spread fascination among the audience by acting in dramas.

Last year in Bangladesh, Tareen's first movie titled '1971 Shei Shob Din,' directed by Hridi Haq, was released.

Tareen Jahan's impeccable performance in the movie was well appreciated. And now Tareen is floating in praise in the other side of the Bengal i.e. Kolkata.

Because Tareen's debut movie titled 'Eta Amader Golpo', directed by Manasi Sinha, was released on Friday (May 3) in Kolkata.

Since the release of the movie, the audience is enjoying the movie with great interest, which has already been noticed in the social media of Bangladesh.

While promoting the movie in Kolkata, Tareen also met the audience of many of her dramas there, said the actress.

Ignoring the extreme heat, they went to the cinema halls and enjoyed the movie 'Eta Amader Golpo' starring Tareen.

Tareen is very excited by the interest and love of the audience. As if a new chapter of life is spent in Kolkata, this popular TV actress of Bangladesh.

The story of the movie 'Eta Amader Golpo' revolves with angers, shame and loves between wife and mother-in-law.

The main thing is that when people get old, people become lonely. Falling in love at that age is not a crime. It is better to be loved
than to be alone.

In the story, Tareen played the role of a girl from a Hindu family in Bangladesh. Tareen's debut in Kolkata cinema went very well.

The audience took Tareen to heart. Tareen's acting, personality, and her wit has got a place in the minds of the audience along with the whole team of the movie.

Ferdous Ahmed, a popular actor and Member of the Parliament of Bangladesh, said, wishing Tareen well. Ferdous said in this regard, "The love shown by the audience of Kolkata for Tareen's movie is really a matter of joy because I know how difficult it is to get the love of the audience by acting in a movie of another country outside the country.

Tareen has undoubtedly acted well as per her character in the movie as the audience has accepted her. My best wishes for Tareen. We both acted together in the movie '1971 Shei Shob Din'. We both have sweet memories around this movie."

Meanwhile, Ekushey Padak winning veteran actress Dilara Zaman said about Tareen, "Tareen is the best actress of this generation. He is an inspiration to his next generation. That's why Tareen's performance in Kolkata movies has also been appreciated. This is something we like too."

Meanwhile, Tareen's colleagues in Bangladesh are eagerly waiting to congratulate her. They said that when Tareen returns to the country, she will enjoy the
story of the success of her first movie in Kolkata.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

'Rajkumar' draws audience in Australia, released in the Middle East

1714866896959.png

The release of "Rajkumar" in Bangladesh has been creating quite a stir, with critics suggesting it ranks amongst Shakib Khan starrer top five films. The film is currently running in theatres across America, alongside Italy, and Australia.

The film is now in its second week of screening due to popular demand from the audience. Additionally, it was released in the Middle East on May 2. Notably, Tanim Mannan has been in charge of distributing "Rajkumar" across various Australian theatres.

Reporting on the response of audiences in Australia, the distributor claimed, "The reaction here has been overwhelmingly positive. Due to the busy schedules of most moviegoers, the film is being showcased three days a week, however, the turnout has been impressive."

"Rajkumar" was originally set to premiere in the Middle East on April 19, but severe flooding in Dubai led to its release being delayed to May 2. Swapna Scarecrow distributed the film in the Middle East, followed by its successive releases in the US and Canada.

Directed by Himel Ashraf and produced by Arshad Adnan, "Rajkumar" is also slated for release in London, Ireland, Middle Eastern countries, and Europe in the coming week.

In addition to the leading actor Shakib Khan, the film's cast includes American actress Courtney Coffey, Tarik Anam Khan, Mahiya Mahi, Arsh Khan, Doctor Ejaz, Erfan Mridha Shiblu, and others.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Tasnia Farin starrer 'Fatima' to release in Bangladesh this month

1715038758410.png
Photos: Collected

Actress Tasnia Farin, known for her popular roles in "Kachher Manus Dure Thuiya" and "Nishwas", ventures into the world of cinema with a film titled "Fatima".

The film is set to grace the screens of cinema halls across Bangladesh on May 24, as announced by its director Dhrubo Hasan.

The movie gained widespread recognition in the Eastern Vista competition at Iran's Fajr Film Festival last year. Not only did the film participate, but it also clinched an award at the festival. Tasnia Farin's exceptional performance in the film earned her the prestigious Crystal Simorgh Award at the 42nd edition of the prestigious festival.

In anticipation of the film's release, Outcast Films, the production house behind the project, organised an event last Saturday at their office, bringing together directors, artistes, and industry professionals. They reminisced about the journey of making the film and shared anecdotes from behind the scenes.

Dhrubo Hasan recalled that initially, the film was titled "Dahakaal" but as the story evolved, it was renamed "Fatima", though it retains elements from its original narrative.

Tasnia Farin, known for her performances in web films beyond the border of Bangladesh, makes her cinematic debut with "Fatima." Earlier this year, she starred in the web film "Osomoy." Additionally, she has acted in a Kolkata film and won the Filmfare Bangla Best Newcomer Award for her performance.

Expressing her joy at the impending release of her first film, Tasnia said, "'Fatima' is my first local film. The shooting experience was beautiful, but work was suddenly suspended midway, and there was a long hiatus. I started working regularly in dramas during this time."

"After nearly six years, Dhrubo Hasan called me and expressed his desire to resume work on the film. I was a bit surprised and wondered how it would be possible after so many years. But I had faith in Dhrubo bhai that he would finish the film no matter what."

"Ultimately, the film has turned out very well, and it has traveled to several film festivals outside the country. I also attended the Fajr Festival in Iran, where I received the Best Actress award. Now, I am eagerly awaiting the film's release," the actress concluded.

"Fatima" features singer Pantha Kanai in a significant role. Reflecting on his unexpected journey into acting, he said, "One day, director Dhrubo called me. I thought he wanted me to sing a song for his film. But he said, 'I want you to act in my film!' I was surprised. I had never acted before. How would I do it? But I agreed. On the day of the shoot, I told the director that I couldn't remember dialogue. But in the end, the director guided me very well, and I acted the part excellently."

Apart from Tasnia Farin and Pantha Kanai, the film also stars Tariq Anam Khan, Manosh Bandyopadhyayy, Yash Rohan, Sumit Sen Gupta, and Ayesha Monika Hira, amongst others. Pavel Areen is the music director of the film.

Speakers at the event included Piplo R Khan from Outcast Films, Shahed Ali Sujon, Manosh Bandyopadhyayy, and other actors, filmmakers, and well-wishers of the film.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Sohel Chowdhury murder: 3 get life term, 6 acquitted

1715296877176.png
Sohel Chowdhury

A Dhaka tribunal today sentenced three people, including businessman Aziz Mohammad Bhai, to life imprisonment in the case filed over the murder of actor Sohel Chowdhury in 1998.

Two other convicts are owner of Afakul Islam alias Bunty Islam and Adnan Siddiqui.

All the three convicts have been shown fugitives.

Judge Arunabh Chakrabarty of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-2 of Dhaka pronounced the verdict at 1:15pm

The judge also fined them Tk 2 lakh each, in default of which they will have to serve six months more in jail.

The court also acquitted six accused -- Ashish Rai Choudhury alias Bottle Chowdhury, Tariq Sayeed Mamun, Faruque Abbasi, Sanzidul Hasan Emon, Selim Khan and Harun-Or-Rashid alias Leather Liton -- as allegations brought against them were not proven.

The judge pronounced the verdict in presence of Emon and Ashish Rai in the court.

Among the accused, Emon is now in jail custody while Ashish Rai, Tariq Sayeed Mamun and Faruque Abbasi are on bail.

However, Mamun and Faruque were absent by submitting petitions through their lawyers during today's verdict.

In the judgment, the judge said the prosecution was able to prove the charges brought against the three accused undoubtedly and they were given the punishment for committing such offences.

On December 18, 1998, actor Sohel was shot dead by some unidentified criminals at Trumps Club in Abedin Tower on road 18 at Banani.

After an investigation, Detective Branch of police submitted a charge sheet to the court on August 2, 1999.

On October 30, 2001, Dhaka's Third Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge's Court framed charges against them.

Two years after framing charges against the accused, the case was transferred to the Speedy Trial Tribunal-2 for its quick disposal.

Following a petition of an accused in the case, the High Court in 2003 stayed the proceedings of the trial.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Sohel Chowdhury's daughter speaks out on murder verdict

1715296989371.png

Prominent film actor Sohel Chowdhury was shot dead by some unidentified criminals at Trumps Club in Abedin Tower in Banani, on December 18, 1998.

Twenty-five years later, a Dhaka tribunal today sentenced three people, including businessman Aziz Mohammad Bhai, to life imprisonment in the case filed over the murder of the actor.

As the verdict was announced by Judge Arunabh Chakraborty of the Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal-2, Sohel Chowdhury's daughter Lamia Chowdhury explains her deep angst over the incident.

"No matter what happens now, my father will not come back. What they (the criminals) have done, they will have to answer for it themselves. Their imprisonment, whether they live up to it or not, would not make the pain that we have been through go away."

"My father's death has had a deep impact on my life, it will not change in any way. I have to live with reality. We haven't seen any change in our lives due to their trial, nor will there be," she added.

Two other convicts are the owner of Afakul Islam alias Bunty Islam and Adnan Siddiqui. All the three convicts have been shown fugitives.

Judge Arunabh Chakrabarty of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-2 of Dhaka pronounced the verdict at 1:15pm. The judge also fined them Tk 2 lakh each, in default of which they will have to serve one month more in jail.

In the judgment, the judge said the prosecution was able to prove the charges brought against the three accused undoubtedly and they were given the punishment for committing such offenses.

Actors Sohel Chowdhury and Parveen Sultana Diti have two children. The eldest daughter, Lamia Chowdhury was always there for her mother after losing her father. Their son Shafayat Chowdhury completed his studies at a university in Canada and settled in Europe, after graduation. Lamia became interested in filmmaking after studying at the Toronto Film School in Canada. She returned to the country after completing her studies and currently working on an individual project produced by Azmeri Haque Badhan.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Shakib Khan and Mimi Chakraborty sizzle in official 'Toofan' poster

1715418284949.png

Earlier this week, Raihan Rafi stirred up a storm on social media with the release of the first teaser for the Shakib Khan-starrer "Toofan". Shakib's intense portrayal as a gangster and his powerful dialogue delivery captured the attention of netizens.

Today, the director has unveiled an official poster of "Toofan", showcasing Shakib Khan and Mimi Chakraborty in a captivating and sizzling look.

On the poster, Shakib Khan maintains a nonchalant expression, clad in a stylish grey suit paired with a white shirt. Meanwhile, Mimi Chakraborty exudes glamour in a deep purple sequined dress, emanating a scintillating presence. Their first look hints that audiences will admire the sizzling chemistry of this new on-screen pair this upcoming Eid.

The film is scheduled to be released on Eid-ul-Azha. The Raihan Rafi directorial film also stars Masooma Nabila, Misha Swadagar, and Jisshu Sengupta, amongst others.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Bangladesh Film Censor Board forms new committee

1715555749704.png

The Bangladesh Film Censor Board has formed a new committee of 15 members for the upcoming fiscal year.

Today, a statement signed by the Deputy Secretary of the Ministry of Information, Saiful Islam, was issued by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and was announced to the media.

According to the President's directive, it has been stated that the reformation of the censor board that the Secretary of the Ministry of Information has been appointed as the Chairman, and the Vice Chairman of the censor board will now be the Member Secretary of the new committee.

In this new committee, among the members from the acting profession are Sujata Azim, Aruna Biswas, Rokeya Prachi, Purnima and Azizul Hakim. Additionally, film producer Khasru and filmmaker Jahangir Alam will also serve as members of the committee for one year.

In addition, the current management director of the BFDC, Nuzhat Yasmin, and the president of the Directors' Association, Kazi Hayat, are also included in the committee.

Besides, there are other members including the Secretary of the Law and Justice Division, the Prime Minister's Press Secretary, the Deputy Secretary (Administration and Film) of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, and a representative from the Public Security Division of the Home Ministry.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Bangladeshi director wins big at UK Asian Film Festival

1715728565906.png
Photo: Courtesy

Young and talented Bangladeshi director Riad Arfin has recently clinched the Best Short Film award at the UK Asian Film Festival for his captivating work, "A Border Between Us", which intricately examines the nuanced differences between two individual cultures.

Amongst the distinguished guests at the UK Asian Film Festival was Shabana Azmi, alongside notable Bollywood celebrities like Karisma Kapoor and Sonali Bose.

The 14-minute film follows a Bangladeshi man's odyssey across continents to reunite with his partner in the UK, only to confront unforeseen obstacles in pursuing his heart's desire.

Exploring the intricacies of interracial relationships, grappling with visa regulations, and acclimatising to a foreign milieu, the film poignantly depicts the couple's quest to establish a shared home in a space that harmoniously accommodates their disparate backgrounds.

Having premiered at the Edinburgh International Film Festival, the film has garnered acclaim at various esteemed festivals and is slated to be showcased at the upcoming DC/DOX Film Festival in the USA.

Riad Arfin's directorial prowess has previously been recognised at the International short and independent film festival oganised by the Bangladesh Short Film Forum in 2014, where his film "A Bus Ride" was awarded the Best Film at the Tarek Shahriar Independent category.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Film selection is paramount for an artiste: Chanchal Chowdhury

1715816292349.png
Photos: Courtesy

Chanchal Chowdhury, a celebrated figure in Bangladeshi cinema, garnered widespread recognition for his portrayal of renowned Indian filmmaker Mrinal Sen in the film "Padatik" when it premiered at a film festival last year.

Following the release of its official teaser yesterday (May 14), he again found himself awash in a sea of admiration. From fellow artistes and directors to devoted fans, supporters, and close companions, the chorus of praise for his performance has been resounding far and wide.

1715816336616.png

Famed actress Suborna Mustafa expressed her anticipation and well wishes on Facebook, stating, "Waiting waiting, love, and prayers." In response, Chanchal remarked that the outpouring of love and support from her and many others means a great deal to him.

To The Daily Star, Chanchal Chowdhury expressed that when exemplary work is accomplished, it becomes a collective achievement involving everyone. "Regardless of whoever achieves praises, the work ought to simply become a collective accomplishment. As a result, the filmmakers and artistes will become motivated to take on ten more quality projects, driving the industry forward.

"When discussing embracing the challenge of representing Bangladesh in the heart of the Kolkata film. He noted, "Director Srijit Mukherji had the option to cast any actor from India but he chose me. It was a huge role to undertake as I aimed to meet the expectations of both Bangladeshi and Kolkata audiences who admire my body of work. My performance was not just a personal challenge, but also a window of opportunity to bring recognition to Bangladesh and its film industry."

1715816370602.png

"The admiration I have been receiving for the portrayal of Mrinal Sen on screen belongs entirely to Bangladesh," Chanchal further claimed.

Intriguingly, not everyone knows that Chanchal Chowdhury initially declined the role of Mrinal Sen, he elaborated, "I questioned 'how could I possibly embody such a prominent figure like Sen?' In response, Srijit da reassured me by asking me to leave everything in his hands. Today, I can resolutely claim that Mrinal Sen in 'Padatik' is the creation of Srijit Mukherji. I am grateful to him."

Indian actress Monami Ghosh notably portrayed the character of Sen's wife in the film amidst other cast members. He commended her acting qualities and said, "She did a good job, as did all the other fellow actors. It was a wonderful experience working with them. Additionally, the movie contains many big surprises that will be evident after its release."

1715816425481.png

He dropped a hint about the surprise by mentioning appearances of portrayals of renowned directors like Satyajit Ray and Ritwik Ghatak as characters in the film. Audiences can anticipate encountering these surprises as the film progresses.

On the professionalism of the Indian film industry, he said, "It is highly professional and well-organised — something to be admired."

Chanchal Chowdhury confessed that he couldn't fathom being offered the role of Mrinal Sen, "Nevertheless, as events unfolded, all my focus centered on bringing his character to life. It wasn't a fleeting process; day after day, I devoted myself to honing the role."

In reference to the film "Padatik", Chanchal further detailed, "I had to learn everything related to Mrinal Sen's mannerisms, speech patterns, and overall demeanour. Extensive research was imperative, and I received valuable assistance from the director throughout the process."

Despite the tragic loss of his father during the filming of "Padatik", Chanchal Chowdhury persevered. Reflecting on this difficult time, he shared, "When my father passed away, grief engulfed me. But Srijit da stepped in, telling me to focus on being Mrinal Sen in front of the camera and to remain myself off-camera."

"With this directive in mind, I continued his work with the support of Srijit Mukherji, whom I regard as a remarkable filmmaker," expressed Chanchal.

The film "Padatik" is set to be featured at the Chicago International Film Festival this upcoming July. Kunal Sen, son of the acclaimed Mrinal Sen and a Chicago resident, is set to preview the film first. A special exhibition will accompany the screening, with renowned actor Chanchal Chowdhury in attendance.

At last, when asked him if he believed he had a special knack for choosing successful films. He replied, "Success comes from deliberate action. I receive hundreds of film offers, but I'm very selective. Every decision of mine is carefully considered. After my stint in the film 'Padatik', I've been meticulous with my film choices. For an artiste, picking the right projects is crucial. That's what I believe."​

Users who are viewing this thread