What's new

🇧🇩 Bangladesh Film Industry (2 Viewers)

G Bangladesh Defense Forum

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Star Cineplex takes down three Eid films amidst intense competition

1713219997208.png

Out of 11 films that were released during the festival, some are performing well, while others have not met expectations from the producers.

Three films fell off from the Eid race in the country's premier multiplex, Star Cineplex. On the third and fifth day of Eid-ul-Fitr respectively, Kazi Hayat directorial film "Green Card" and Chotku Ahmed's government-granted film "Ahare Jibon" were taken down. However, both movies are still running shows at Lion Cinemas.

Fuad Chowdhury directorial "Meghna Konnya" is another film was taken down from the multiplex. The film stars Qazi Nawshaba Ahmed, Fazlur Rahman Babu, Shatabdi Wadud, Samonty Das Shoumi, and Sajjad Hossain, among others.

According to the associates of Star Cineplex, the films could not sustain business at the halls.

Many involved in the film industry have expressed their opinions about the release of movies during Eid. Some argued that releasing 11 movies during Eid was not a good decision at all. It was a bad business decision to release more than four films during Eid. Some also criticised the release of three movies starring Sariful Razz during Eid, stating that it would have been better for the audience if only one of his movies was released during the festival.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Courtney Coffey took to social media to express her gratitude for 'Rajkumar'

1713393606367.png

Photos: Collected

American actress Courtney Coffey has joined forces with Shakib Khan for the film "Rajkumar", which marks her first venture with a Bangladeshi star.

Out of 212 cinema halls, the film has secured three-fourths of them in terms of rental. "Rajkumar" premiered across 125 halls nationwide during Eid, garnering significant attention and praise from audiences since its release.

Courtney Coffey took to social media to express her joy and gratitude, stating, "I am thrilled and elated. Through "Rajkumar", the people of Bangladesh have embraced me. Thank you all. This makes me proud."

Additionally, in Bangla, Coffey conveyed, "I love and appreciate everyone from the depths of my heart. I am hopeful that "Rajkumar" will be a super hit for our beloved audience."

Shakib Khan has been ecstatic about the success of "Rajkumar", expressing deep gratitude towards the audience. On Monday (April 15), the superstar shared on social media, "Rajkumar is receiving boundless love from millions. This is only possible because of our beloved audience. Much love to all."

The film "Rajkumar" is centered around family relationships and the ambitious journey of a young man from Bangladesh to America.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Tareen to make Tollywood debut this month

1713652830428.png

Renowned Bangladeshi actress Tareen is making her debut in Indian Bengali cinema with the film "Eta Amader Golpo", which is all set for release in Kolkata on April 26.

Under the direction of Manasi Sinha, Tareen portrayed a significant role in this film. The recently released trailer has garnered widespread acclaim, earning praise for Tareen's performance.

Essentially, the movie's narrative unfolds through the lens of respect and other dynamics within a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. Tareen expressed, "It's a beautifully crafted story in which the director paid meticulous attention to detail. The cast members also performed wholeheartedly."

In addition to Tareen, the film features actors Kharaj Mukherjee, Saswata Chatterjee, Aparajita Auddy, and others.

Notably, the Tareen starrer Liberation War-based film "1971 Shei Shob Din" was released around the same time last year.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Farooki's 'Something Like an Autobiography' lands UK's Channel 4 deal

1713741367639.png

Filmmaker Mostofa Sarwar Farooki and his wife, actress Nusrat Imrose Tisha, have reached a new milestone as their film "Something Like an Autobiography" has been selected by Channel 4 for broadcast in the UK.

The film's world premiere took place at the 2023 Busan International Film Festival, where it competed in the esteemed Jiseok category. "Something Like an Autobiography" was also featured at the 2023 Mumbai Film Festival in the South Asian icon segment.

Centred on a Dhaka-based married couple– filmmaker Farhan, portrayed by Farooki himself, and actor Tithi, played by Tisha– the narrative explores their journey amidst societal pressure to start a family. As Tithi's pregnancy progresses, an unexpected incident sheds light on contemporary Bangladeshi society's realities.

Drawing inspiration from Kurosawa Akira's memoir by the same name, the film's title offers a glimpse into the real lives of Farooki and Tisha, a renowned celebrity couple in Bangladesh who hold significant stature in the country's film industry.

Expressing his sentiments, Farooki shared to Variety, "This is a special film for me and Tisha. Personal, embarrassing and rewarding at the same time. I am happy the film will be seen by the Channel 4 audience. Hope they will be able to connect with the universal theme although portrayed through local details."

Produced by Redoan Rony for the Bangladeshi streaming platform Chorki, with co-production support from Nina Lath, Anna Katchko, and Tisha, the film forms part of Chorki's ambitious "Ministry of Love" project, comprising 12 films.

Redoan Rony, Chorki's CEO, expressed delight at Channel 4's decision and said "Channel 4 is an esteemed broadcaster. We are glad that they chose to showcase our film to their audience. Chorki always wants to make quality films and series. This is a clear sign we are moving in the right direction."

"Something Like an Autobiography" is set to be featured at the upcoming Sydney Film Festival, marking another milestone for Farooki and Tisha's collaboration.

Looking ahead, Farooki's next project, "To Hell With Love", a Hindi and English-language romance set in the UK, has garnered attention following its participation in India's Cinevesture International Film Festival's project market.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Three Bangladeshi Eid films make their way abroad

1713827324989.png

Amidst the list of films released on Eid-ul-Fitr, the first to hit international screens is the Himel Ashraf directorial film "Rajkumar", starring Shakib Khan. Following its domestic reception, the film has been screened in 75 theaters across the United States and Canada since April 19.

The film's international distribution has been handled by Swapna Scarecrow. Courtney Coffey stars opposite Shakib Khan in "Rajkumar", with additional cast members including Tariq Anam Khan, Mahiya Mahi, and many others.

This Eid-ul-Fitr, three movies featuring Sariful Razz have been released. Amongst them, the film "Omar", directed by Mohammad Mostafa Kamal Raz, is set to be released in India and abroad on April 26.

The movie will initially be screened in multiplex theatres across approximately 20 states in the United States, followed by screenings in the remaining states until May 12.

"Omar" is scheduled to release in Sweden on April 28. Additionally, starting on May 10, the movie will be showcased in several multiplexes across Canada, including Toronto, Mississauga, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, and Edmonton. Bioscope Films serves as the international distributor of this movie.

Another Sariful Razz starrer Eid-ul-Fitr movie, "Deyaler Desh", directed by Mishuk Moni is set to release in Australia on May 3. The film also features Shobnom Bubly, Swagata, and many others.

Notably, Star Cineplex has unveiled its list of top five Eid movies for the first week. Topping the list of Bengali movies is "Rajkumar", while "Deyaler Desh" secured the second spot.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Courtney Coffey expresses dismay over promotional neglect

1713913608132.png

The first poster of the film "Rajkumar" was unveiled in late March, featuring only Shakib Khan prominently. While the names of the hero, director (Himel Ashraf), and producer (Arshad Adnan) were highlighted in bold letters, the heroine's picture or name was notably absent. Viewers speculated that the hero and heroine might appear together in the next poster, but that didn't materialise either.

Subsequently, most promotional materials released on social media for the campaign needed the name of the heroine, Courtney Coffey. The American actress expressed her regret and frustration about this situation, feeling that she had been discriminated against.

Despite "Rajkumar" being released in Courtney Coffey's home country, the United States, since April 19, posters featuring only Shakib's picture and name have been displayed across various theatres and roadside locations, further exacerbating her sense of exclusion.

On her social media platform, Courtney Coffey expressed her dismay, stating, "Has anyone in the United States seen my name on the 'Rajkumar' movie posters in theatres? So far, I have not seen my name on any of the posters. If anyone comes across a poster, please send it to me. I want to proudly stand next to it and take a picture in my own country."

A few viewers of Coffey's post shared pictures of some posters from theatres in Bangladesh where her name is indeed mentioned. However, her name appears at the very bottom of the poster — in small letters. In response to this, Courtney cited the example of last year's film 'Priyotoma', where foreign actress Idhika Paul, from Calcutta, acted opposite Shakib Khan. In that case, both the actress and Shakib's names were prominently displayed in large letters on the poster.

Another viewer from New York posted a picture in the comments section, mentioning that he saw the actress' name on a poster displayed at the Jamaica Multiplex. Coffey expressed her gratitude, stating, "Thank you. I couldn't see the name because it was positioned below in very small letters. I do not know why this has been done."

1713913704239.png

Regrettably, Courtney Coffey expressed, "My name needed to be featured prominently so that other companies in the United States could consider hiring me. Additionally, the names of all the other heroines are displayed alongside Shakib's name in his other films; their names are not relegated to small, inconspicuous letters below."

Coffey had also previously expressed discontentment with the "Rajkumar" team. For instance, viewers have questioned her lip-syncing in the film's song, pointing out discrepancies. However, the actress posted a reel video on Sunday (April 21), demonstrating improved lip-syncing to the song. In response to this, Coffey commented, "I shared the video to demonstrate my capability. However, the production team opted not to use my lip-syncing skills, despite my qualifications!"

The dissatisfaction surrounding Courtney Coffey's involvement in the film extends further, as she appears in some scenes seemingly without much consideration, leading to criticism from viewers. However, the actress asserts that her portrayal was per the script. To substantiate her claim, she shared a picture of the script on Facebook as evidence.

These instances highlight Coffey's discord with the 'Rajkumar' team on various matters. However, there has been no response from the filmmaker, producer, or lead actor regarding any of these issues.

Notably, "Rajkumar" was released in hundreds of theaters across the country on April 11, coinciding with Eid-ul-Fitr, and has since emerged as the most successful film of the season. In addition to its domestic success, the film is now being screened in the USA and Canada. Furthermore, it is scheduled to be released in Australia on April 25.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

'Toofan's' script impressed me, excited to start the project: Chanchal Chowdhury

1713999668731.png

Photo: Collected

For the first time, the audience will witness Dhallywood 'King' Shakib Khan and offbeat emperor Chanchal Chowdhury sharing the screen, in Raihan Rafi's "Toofan". Chanchal will join the team of "Toofan" in India the day after tomorrow, after returning from the USA.

Chanchal attended the Suchitra Sen International Bengali Film Festival on April 20 and 21 recently, and has received the award for Best Actor in his film "Hawa". The award was held at the iconic Jamaica Performing Arts Center (JPAC) in New York. The film also bagged several other honours including the Best Actress (Nazifa Tushi), Best Cinematography (Kamrul Hasan Khosru and Tanveer Ahmed Shovon), and Best Film award.

During his stay in the US, the actor told The Daily Star, "Shakib and I were acquainted long before. However, this is our first collaboration for a film. We met many times, and even had many long sessions of gossip.

Chanchal is confident that the project will be a remarkable one, as its script instantly wowed him. He is also amazed with Raihan Rafi's vision. "I congratulate the entire team, and particularly the producers for making this happen."

The "Monpura" actor highlighted the fact that for a sustainable film industry, it is important to entice the audience to theatres.

Upon receiving the award for his portrayal of Chan Majhi in Hawa, the actor shared, "This film is one of my career's best projects, the audience and critics have appreciated and loved this film. As an actor, it is always inspiring to receive awards for your work."

Appreciating the initiative, the "Karagar" actor said, "On a foreign land, and named after such a great actress, Suchitra Sen, this is a celebration. It feels great to come here and to be a part of this festival. Apart from that, the reunion of the artistes from both sides of the border is also amazing."​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Bangladeshi film wins award at Moscow Int'l Film Festival

1714260143453.png

The Bangladeshi film "Nirvana" directed by Asif Islam has won the Special Jury Award at the 46th Moscow International Film Festival.

This achievement follows in the footsteps of Juboraj Shamim's "Adim", which received the Silver Saint George Award (Special Jury Award) and the Netpack Jury Award at the 44th Moscow International Film Festival.

The 46th Moscow International Film Festival concluded its eight-day run on Friday (April 26). The closing ceremony took place in the evening local time in Moscow, where the winners of best film, best producer, and best actors were announced.

Additionally, Russian director and screenwriter Sergei Ursulak was honoured for his contributions to the world of cinema, this year.

1714260216089.png

Furthermore, the film "Shame", a collaborative production between Mexico and Qatar, secured the Best Film Award. Iranian director Nahid Azizi received the Best Director Award for her film "Cold Sign", while Juan Ramón López was honoured with the Best Actor Award for his performance in "Shame".

Previously, Juboraj Shamim's "Adim" competed in the 44th edition, and Nurul Alam Atique's "Peyarar Subash" was selected and screened at the 45th edition of the festival.

Priyam mesmerises at the MIFF, accompanied by 'Nirvana' director Asif Islam

Noteworthy mentions include Mostofa Sarwar Farooki's "Doob" and "Saturday Afternoon," alongside Jasim Ahmed's production, and Indranil Roy's directorial "Mayar Jonjal".​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Chanchal, Shakib meet for 'Toofan' in Kolkata

1714347886597.png

Dhaka is suffering from an intense heatwave, so is Kolkata. Amidst the heatwave, the shooting of Raihan Rafi's "Toofan" is underway. Chanchal Chowdhury recently joined the shoot after returning from the US. For the first time, Chanchal and Shakib are sharing the screen.

"We have already shot several scenes already," Chanchal informed The Daily Star from Kolkata, over the phone. "The weather in Kolkata is extremely humid, and in such a condition, the team is really putting a lot of effort in such a condition."

The "Karagar" actor also shared that the technical support is taken from India, while all of the crew members are from Bangladesh. Upon asking what his expectation from the film is, Chanchal stated, "I have just begun the shooting, after completing the shoot I can actually comment on the experience. Rafi has a good sense of direction, he has already proved his talent to the audience, I am hopeful that together we can present something unique to the people."

This Eid-ul-Fitr, Chanchal starrer web film "Monogamy", directed by Mostofa Sarwar Farooki and web series "Rumi" directed by Vicky Zahed, were released on OTT platforms. The actor was praised for both his roles.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Shakib Khan and family under media spotlight following Bubly's revelations
Shakib Khan and family under media spotlight following revelations by Bubly

1714434398923.png

In the wake of recent revelations made by actress Shobnom Bubly, Shakib Khan and his family find themselves thrust into the limelight, facing heightened public scrutiny over their personal affairs. Bubly's disclosures have reignited discussions about Khan's past relationships, prompting a closer look at the actor's private life.

In a recent interview, actress Shobnom Bubly claimed, "Legally, I am still Shakib Khan's lawful wife." She disclosed details about her relationship with Shakib Khan and the time they spent together, particularly highlighting the challenges faced in bringing up their child. However, her revelations have stirred controversy within Shakib Khan's family and the wider community.

Due to this, Bubly has been informed that she should refrain from visiting Shakib's house or office in the name of their son Shehzad to avoid any unpleasant circumstances.

Regarding this matter, the actress stated, "I go to that house only when invited. Whether to visit his house or not, whether to be accepted or not, it's not just Shakib Khan's decision, it's also my decision. Because, we have a child, and the safety of my child comes first to me. I will never leave my child alone anywhere."

Bubly also spoke out, stating her intention to address the issue directly with Shakib Khan. She emphasised the need for mutual respect and proper conduct during public appearances and media interactions, indicating her readiness to provide relevant information when necessary.

Responding to the media frenzy, members of Shakib Khan's family have expressed their discontent, with some contemplating legal action against those spreading what they perceive to be unfounded claims.

Meanwhile, Bubly has stood by her statements, reaffirming her commitment to honesty and integrity.

"I have not made any false statements about our relationship so far," remarked Bubly. "I am open to any challenge in this regard. What benefit would I gain from making false claims? My reputation is established by my own efforts. My son, Shehzad, is my pride, and my family's love and support mean everything to me."

As discussions surrounding Shakib Khan's personal life continue to dominate headlines, his family is reportedly planning to host a wedding ceremony this year, aiming to put an end to ongoing speculation and controversy.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Mithila wins prestigious award for 'O Abhagi'

1714606678444.png

Rafiath Rashid Mithila won the Best Actress award for her performance in the film "O Abhagi'" at the 14th Dada Saheb Phalke Film Festival 2024 in Delhi yesterday.

The elated actress officially announced the news on her official Facebook page, stating, "I am elated to share with you all this wonderful news. I want to thank my director, Anirban Chakraborty, our producer Dr Prabir Bhaumik, and our entire team. I really couldn't have won this without their love and support."

The Anirban Chakraborty directorial film is an adaptation of Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's classic short story "Abhagir Swargo".

The film's central concept revolves around a woman's struggle to save her chastity amidst societal pressures, portraying how terrifying the oppression of the so-called upper class in society can be.

The film also features Subrata Datta, Debyani Chattopadhyay, Ishan Mazumdar, Sayan Ghosh, Jiniya Pandey, Krishna Bandopadhyay, and Sourav Haldar amongst others.

The Dada Saheb Phalke Film Festival is a non-profit, non-commercial event and India's sole independent film festival. Established in 2011 in Delhi NCR, its mission is to celebrate the cinema and the work of aspiring, young, independent, and professional filmmakers.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Tareen checkmates first Kolkata movie
4 May 2024, 12:00 am

1714780290339.png

Sheikh Arif Bulbon :

Tareen Jahan is one of the most popular actresses of TV dramas in Bangladesh. She is considered by her next generation of artistes as the path of acting.

For more than three decades, this very talented actress has spread fascination among the audience by acting in dramas.

Last year in Bangladesh, Tareen's first movie titled '1971 Shei Shob Din,' directed by Hridi Haq, was released.

Tareen Jahan's impeccable performance in the movie was well appreciated. And now Tareen is floating in praise in the other side of the Bengal i.e. Kolkata.

Because Tareen's debut movie titled 'Eta Amader Golpo', directed by Manasi Sinha, was released on Friday (May 3) in Kolkata.

Since the release of the movie, the audience is enjoying the movie with great interest, which has already been noticed in the social media of Bangladesh.

While promoting the movie in Kolkata, Tareen also met the audience of many of her dramas there, said the actress.

Ignoring the extreme heat, they went to the cinema halls and enjoyed the movie 'Eta Amader Golpo' starring Tareen.

Tareen is very excited by the interest and love of the audience. As if a new chapter of life is spent in Kolkata, this popular TV actress of Bangladesh.

The story of the movie 'Eta Amader Golpo' revolves with angers, shame and loves between wife and mother-in-law.

The main thing is that when people get old, people become lonely. Falling in love at that age is not a crime. It is better to be loved
than to be alone.

In the story, Tareen played the role of a girl from a Hindu family in Bangladesh. Tareen's debut in Kolkata cinema went very well.

The audience took Tareen to heart. Tareen's acting, personality, and her wit has got a place in the minds of the audience along with the whole team of the movie.

Ferdous Ahmed, a popular actor and Member of the Parliament of Bangladesh, said, wishing Tareen well. Ferdous said in this regard, "The love shown by the audience of Kolkata for Tareen's movie is really a matter of joy because I know how difficult it is to get the love of the audience by acting in a movie of another country outside the country.

Tareen has undoubtedly acted well as per her character in the movie as the audience has accepted her. My best wishes for Tareen. We both acted together in the movie '1971 Shei Shob Din'. We both have sweet memories around this movie."

Meanwhile, Ekushey Padak winning veteran actress Dilara Zaman said about Tareen, "Tareen is the best actress of this generation. He is an inspiration to his next generation. That's why Tareen's performance in Kolkata movies has also been appreciated. This is something we like too."

Meanwhile, Tareen's colleagues in Bangladesh are eagerly waiting to congratulate her. They said that when Tareen returns to the country, she will enjoy the
story of the success of her first movie in Kolkata.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

'Rajkumar' draws audience in Australia, released in the Middle East

1714866896959.png

The release of "Rajkumar" in Bangladesh has been creating quite a stir, with critics suggesting it ranks amongst Shakib Khan starrer top five films. The film is currently running in theatres across America, alongside Italy, and Australia.

The film is now in its second week of screening due to popular demand from the audience. Additionally, it was released in the Middle East on May 2. Notably, Tanim Mannan has been in charge of distributing "Rajkumar" across various Australian theatres.

Reporting on the response of audiences in Australia, the distributor claimed, "The reaction here has been overwhelmingly positive. Due to the busy schedules of most moviegoers, the film is being showcased three days a week, however, the turnout has been impressive."

"Rajkumar" was originally set to premiere in the Middle East on April 19, but severe flooding in Dubai led to its release being delayed to May 2. Swapna Scarecrow distributed the film in the Middle East, followed by its successive releases in the US and Canada.

Directed by Himel Ashraf and produced by Arshad Adnan, "Rajkumar" is also slated for release in London, Ireland, Middle Eastern countries, and Europe in the coming week.

In addition to the leading actor Shakib Khan, the film's cast includes American actress Courtney Coffey, Tarik Anam Khan, Mahiya Mahi, Arsh Khan, Doctor Ejaz, Erfan Mridha Shiblu, and others.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Tasnia Farin starrer 'Fatima' to release in Bangladesh this month

1715038758410.png

Actress Tasnia Farin, known for her popular roles in "Kachher Manus Dure Thuiya" and "Nishwas", ventures into the world of cinema with a film titled "Fatima".

The film is set to grace the screens of cinema halls across Bangladesh on May 24, as announced by its director Dhrubo Hasan.

The movie gained widespread recognition in the Eastern Vista competition at Iran's Fajr Film Festival last year. Not only did the film participate, but it also clinched an award at the festival. Tasnia Farin's exceptional performance in the film earned her the prestigious Crystal Simorgh Award at the 42nd edition of the prestigious festival.

In anticipation of the film's release, Outcast Films, the production house behind the project, organised an event last Saturday at their office, bringing together directors, artistes, and industry professionals. They reminisced about the journey of making the film and shared anecdotes from behind the scenes.

Dhrubo Hasan recalled that initially, the film was titled "Dahakaal" but as the story evolved, it was renamed "Fatima", though it retains elements from its original narrative.

Tasnia Farin, known for her performances in web films beyond the border of Bangladesh, makes her cinematic debut with "Fatima." Earlier this year, she starred in the web film "Osomoy." Additionally, she has acted in a Kolkata film and won the Filmfare Bangla Best Newcomer Award for her performance.

Expressing her joy at the impending release of her first film, Tasnia said, "'Fatima' is my first local film. The shooting experience was beautiful, but work was suddenly suspended midway, and there was a long hiatus. I started working regularly in dramas during this time."

"After nearly six years, Dhrubo Hasan called me and expressed his desire to resume work on the film. I was a bit surprised and wondered how it would be possible after so many years. But I had faith in Dhrubo bhai that he would finish the film no matter what."

"Ultimately, the film has turned out very well, and it has traveled to several film festivals outside the country. I also attended the Fajr Festival in Iran, where I received the Best Actress award. Now, I am eagerly awaiting the film's release," the actress concluded.

"Fatima" features singer Pantha Kanai in a significant role. Reflecting on his unexpected journey into acting, he said, "One day, director Dhrubo called me. I thought he wanted me to sing a song for his film. But he said, 'I want you to act in my film!' I was surprised. I had never acted before. How would I do it? But I agreed. On the day of the shoot, I told the director that I couldn't remember dialogue. But in the end, the director guided me very well, and I acted the part excellently."

Apart from Tasnia Farin and Pantha Kanai, the film also stars Tariq Anam Khan, Manosh Bandyopadhyayy, Yash Rohan, Sumit Sen Gupta, and Ayesha Monika Hira, amongst others. Pavel Areen is the music director of the film.

Speakers at the event included Piplo R Khan from Outcast Films, Shahed Ali Sujon, Manosh Bandyopadhyayy, and other actors, filmmakers, and well-wishers of the film.​

Saif

Jan 24, 2024

Sohel Chowdhury murder: 3 get life term, 6 acquitted

1715296877176.png

Sohel Chowdhury

A Dhaka tribunal today sentenced three people, including businessman Aziz Mohammad Bhai, to life imprisonment in the case filed over the murder of actor Sohel Chowdhury in 1998.

Two other convicts are owner of Afakul Islam alias Bunty Islam and Adnan Siddiqui.

All the three convicts have been shown fugitives.

Judge Arunabh Chakrabarty of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-2 of Dhaka pronounced the verdict at 1:15pm

The judge also fined them Tk 2 lakh each, in default of which they will have to serve six months more in jail.

The court also acquitted six accused -- Ashish Rai Choudhury alias Bottle Chowdhury, Tariq Sayeed Mamun, Faruque Abbasi, Sanzidul Hasan Emon, Selim Khan and Harun-Or-Rashid alias Leather Liton -- as allegations brought against them were not proven.

The judge pronounced the verdict in presence of Emon and Ashish Rai in the court.

Among the accused, Emon is now in jail custody while Ashish Rai, Tariq Sayeed Mamun and Faruque Abbasi are on bail.

However, Mamun and Faruque were absent by submitting petitions through their lawyers during today's verdict.

In the judgment, the judge said the prosecution was able to prove the charges brought against the three accused undoubtedly and they were given the punishment for committing such offences.

On December 18, 1998, actor Sohel was shot dead by some unidentified criminals at Trumps Club in Abedin Tower on road 18 at Banani.

After an investigation, Detective Branch of police submitted a charge sheet to the court on August 2, 1999.

On October 30, 2001, Dhaka's Third Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge's Court framed charges against them.

Two years after framing charges against the accused, the case was transferred to the Speedy Trial Tribunal-2 for its quick disposal.

Following a petition of an accused in the case, the High Court in 2003 stayed the proceedings of the trial.​

Users who are viewing this thread